Internship Admissions, Support, and Initial Placement Data
The 2022 APPIC Match Policies are available at the "Match Policies" page on the APPIC website.
Counseling Services (CS) at the University of Oregon participates in the National Matching Service as approved by APPIC. The CS NMS number is 152211. Information about registering for the 2022 Match Service will be available on the APPIC website. Please be aware that each applicant needs to file the necessary form with NMS only once.
Minimum hours required at time of application
|Required?||Number of hours|
|Direct Intervention Hours||Yes||450|
|Direct Contact Assessment Hours||No||N/A|
Other Minimum Qualifications:
- Doctoral students in APA or CPA accredited counseling or clinical psychology programs.
- Completed 450 combined masters/doctoral intervention hours (not including assessment hours) by application deadline. We only consider adult/older adult/adolescent hours and do not count supervision provided or outreach hours in this total.
- Successfully completed qualifying examinations by the application deadline.
- All coursework is to be completed by the start of the internship. Psychologists seeking training to change specialties to the counseling or clinical areas must complete the same didactic and practicum requirements.
- Completed, or will complete by the start of internship, a supervision class or a supervision provision experience.
- Strong interest and commitment to social justice and multiculturalism.
- Proposed dissertation by the time of application.
All materials must be available for review online by November 1, 2022 at 11:59pm EST. Complete the Uniform Internship Application, APPI, found on the APPIC website.
Please Note: Effective August 2008, the University of Oregon requires a background check that verifies that candidates have no criminal or other record that would preclude employment. These background checks will be conducted following the APPIC Match, and offers will be contingent on successful completion of the background check. A full explanation of this policy is available at the UO Policy Library.
Interested applicants should submit:
- A completed Uniform Internship Application (which can be accessed on the APPIC website)
- Current vita
- Cover letter specifying why you are interested in our internship program, including what rotations you are most interested in and how that fits into your training goals
- Official graduate transcripts
- Three current letters of reference, including two letters from clinical supervisors; one should be a recent supervisor. It is required that reference writers use the APPIC Form for Letters of Recommendation that is available on the AAPI website. We will no longer be accepting traditional letters in order to be consistent with other training sites and keep our selection process as fair as possible.
NOTE: Incomplete files cannot be reviewed. Late materials cannot be accepted. Please address your completed application to:
Dr. Eric Garcia
University Counseling Center
1590 E. 13th Ave.
Eugene, Oregon 97403
A selection committee will review all the applications. The committee will likely convene in the middle of December, and applicants will be notified no later than December 10 of their interview status.
This internship site agrees to abide by the APPIC policy that no person at this training facility will solicit, accept, or use any ranking-related information from any intern applicant.
Please feel free to e-mail us at email@example.com if you have questions about the internship process.
Financial and Other Benefit Support for Upcoming Training Year
|Annual stipend for full-time interns:||$33,000 base stipend+ $7200 health care stipend = $40,200|
|Program provides access to medical insurance for intern?||
|If access to medical insurance is provided, is trainee contribution to cost required?||
|Coverage of family member(s) available?||
|Coverage of legally married partner available?||
|Coverage of domestic partner available?||
|Hours of annual paid personal time off (PTO and/or vacation):||
184 hours (23 days)*
|Hours of annual paid sick leave:||96 hours (12 days)|
|Hours of professional leave (conferences, dissertations, etc.):||48 hours (6 days)|
|Professional development funds:||$400|
|In the event of medical conditions and/or family needs that require extended leave, does the program allow reasonable unpaid leave to interns/residents in excess of personal time off and sick leave?||Yes|
Liability and Malpractice Insurance
Interns who are matched at UCS need to carry their own liability and malpractice insurance, and must show proof of this insurance prior to internship start date. Interns can follow-up with the training director if they have more questions about that coverage.
Initial Post-Internship Position
Total # of interns who were in the 3 cohorts: 12
Total # of interns who did not seek employment because they returned to their doctoral program/are completing doctoral degree: 1
|Placement||Post-Doctoral Residency Position||Employed Position|
|Community mental health center||0||0|
|Federally qualified health center||0||0|
|Independent primary care facility/clinic||0||0|
|University counseling center||4||2|
|Veterans Affairs medical center||0||0|
|Military health center||0||0|
|Academic health center||0||0|
|Other medical center or hospital||0||0|
|Community college/other teaching setting||0||0|
|Independent research institution||0||0|
|Independent practice setting||5||0|
|Not currently employed||0||0|
|Changed to another field||0||0|