Documentation Requests

Confidential Records Requests

You may wish to have your confidential psychological records provided to a party outside Counseling Services or to receive a copy yourself. To release this information, you must sign a Release of Information form and provide us with contact information for the intended recipient of your records. Records are typically delivered by fax or mail. If you are currently in therapy discuss this release with your therapist. Otherwise, call our front desk at 541-346-3227, or come by Counseling Services in person to sign the release form. Once we have a signed release from you, it generally takes 10–14 business days to process your records request.

Financial Aid and Academic Petition Letters

In some instances, students choose to petition for exceptions to academic or financial aid policies and require verification of related mental health concerns. We are happy to work with students to provide these letters whenever appropriate. To be able to provide a substantive letter, a student must have participated in ongoing therapy services during the time period in question. We are unable to verify difficulties experienced when a student was not actively in therapy. Please notify your former therapist or, if unavailable, our front desk staff of your request and we will see what we can do to help.  

Documentation of Mental Health Related Disabilities 

The Accessible Education Center is the office responsible for determining eligibility and related accomodations. We recommend scheduling an appointment with them to discuss what type of documentation are required. In some instances, a letter from a therapist is needed to describe current functional challenges related to a mental health diagnosis. A student must have participated, or be actively participating, in therapy at Counseling Services in order for us to provide appropriate verification and support of a mental health concern. 

If you are a current client at Counseling Services, you can talk with your therapist to assist you. Please don't hesitate to call us at 541-346-3227 to ask any questions about this process.  

Talk to Your Instructors 

It is natural to feel uncomfortable talking to instructors about academic difficulties stemming from personal or psychological concerns. Often, students will avoid communicating their difficulties out of personal discomfort until the situation worsens or becomes a crisis. Unfortunately, this means instructors often do not learn of a student's difficulties until it is too late to address the problem successfully. We strongly encourage you to talk to course instructors as soon as you realize personal, emotional, and psychological issues are interfering with your academic progress. While there are no guarantees instructors will be able to resolve your academic difficulties, instructors can better help with your success when they are informed early. Counseling Services staff can also assist students in identifying effective ways to communicate with instructors about personal and psychological difficulties.

Talk to a Therapist

If you are struggling to manage personal difficulties and to keep up with your academic work, we are here to support you. Please call Counseling Services at 541-346-3227. For more information about accessing our services, visit our counseling and services page.