The Counseling Center at the UCTC often presents at parent and family programs including new student orientation programming for IntroDUCKtion. Below are our presentation materials available in powerpoint, and highlights from the presentations are posted below. If you’d like to learn more about our IntroDUCKtion presentations or ask about our other presentations, please call us at 541-346-3227.
Holding On, Letting Go
Purpose of this presentation is to:
- Acknowledge your role and your experience
- Describe what to expect and how to prepare for your student’s transition to college.
- Discuss strategies for handling some of the challenges that may lie ahead.
The presentation is relatively long, so please download the powerpoint above if you are interested.
Parent Panel Presentation (full text):
Addressing College Mental Health Issues
- Explore problems/issues having an impact on students’ success and well-being
- Collaborate to remove barriers to success
- Create an environment that promotes educational and personal development
- Common Student Concerns
- academic stress
- difficult life experiences
Ongoing psychological issues:
- depression, anxiety
- severe mental health (e.g., bipolar disorder)
- drug and alcohol issues
- eating disorders
- trauma and abuse
UCTC strives to support students by addressing each uniquely in:
- Managing their stress and distress effectively
- Enhancing their personal growth and identity development
Staff & Services
- Staff of psychologists, counselors, doctoral level interns, and graduate assistants
- Brief individual, couples, & group therapy
- Referral to community therapists and agencies
- Referral to health center psychiatrists and medical providers for medication evaluations
- Placement exams, educational testing, and accommodated testing
- Workshops, presentations, consultation